Exeter Diocesan Prayer Diary
1. For the Exe Valley Mission Community, their priest Steph Gordon-Jeffs and for all who live and worship in Withleigh, Washfield, Templeton, Stoodleigh, Rackenford, Oakford, Loxbeare, Cruwys Morchard and Calverleigh. Also pray for the Plymouth Partnership in Mission meeting today.
2. For those leading and attending Safeguarding training today in Exeter, 8th and 10th in Barnstaple and 16th and 29th in Exeter. Also pray for the Growing the Rural Church presentation in St Mark’s Plymouth.
3. For the Exeter Network Church Mission Community, their priest Jon Soper and all the team. On the festival of St Francis we pray that we may be inspired by his life of devotion to the church, inter-faith dialogue and love of all creation.
4. Pray for the work of all our school, college and university chaplains and all those whom offer pastoral support to schools. Pray for Michelle Parkman and Claire McIlory at Plymouth Marjon University and for Jonathan Ross-McNairn taking up the post of Co-ordinating Chaplain at Plymouth University.
5. For all involved in the celebration of Reader ministry, with admission and licensing of Readers, taking place today in Exeter Cathedral. Give thanks for all our Readers offer in our parishes with their distinct roles.
6. On Animal Welfare Sunday we recommit to care for all of god’s creatures. That we will make compassionate and responsible choices where animals are concerned. We give thanks for our pets and the joy they give us.
7. For the Five Alive Mission Community, their clergy Simon Holloway, Nigel Mason, Readers Gill Heighway, Anna Crabbe and for all who live and worship in Yarcombe, Stockland, Shute, Kilmington and Dalwood.
8. For the Five Red Churches Mission Community, their priest John Williams, Reader Ceri Lee and for all who live and worship in Powderham, Kenton with Mamhead, Kenn and Exminster. Also pray for the Transforming Plymouth Together trustees meeting.
9. For the Forder Valley Mission Community, their clergy Chris Routledge, Keith Murphy and for all who live and worship in Eggbuckland with Estover.
10. On World Mental Health Day we pray for all who struggle with their mental health and those caring for those with mental health conditions.
11. In our link with Thika we are asked to pray for Bishop Julius Wanyoike and his secretary James Kamura. And for the Mothers’ Union – President Mrs Esther Wanyoike and co-ordinator Cecilia Mwaniki.
12. For the Four Ways Mission Community, their priest Shaun O'Rourke, Readers Christopher James, Peter Rozzell and for all who live and worship in West Buckland, Swimbridge, Landkey and East Buckland.
14. In our link with the Diocese of Bayeux-Lisieux in France, we pray for those in pastoral teams, especially those preparing others to support parishes in various ministries: catechesis, tourism and taking funerals. For parishes, their clergy and people in the area of Pont L’Eveque.
15. For the Fremington Mission Community, their clergy Steve Goodbody, Tom Simpson, Keith Brimacombe and for all who live and worship in Westleigh, Instow and Fremington.
16. For the Goodrington Mission Community, their priest Gary Deighton and for all who live and worship in Goodrington and Collaton St Mary. Pray also for the meeting of the diocesan Healing and Deliverance team.
17. We give thanks for the Melanesian Brotherhood and their missions across the Pacific, and hold in our prayers the Brothers Great Conference from 19th October when new leaders will be elected.
18. On the feast of St Luke, the patron saint of physicians, surgeons and artists, we thank God for the Saint who faithfully detailed the humanity of Jesus in his Gospel showing His Divinity and His genuine compassion for all human beings. May we be inspired to care for all those we meet as we seek to follow the way of Jesus. We also pray for all events taking place around our diocese linked to anti-slavery day today.
19. Pray for all members of Diocesan Synod as they meet today and for keynote speaker John Spence as he offers a national perspective on mission, growth, money and the future.
20. On Healthcare Sunday we take time to acknowledge and affirm the doctors, healthcare students, lecturers, academics and trainers in your congregation and local community, as well as volunteers, carers and others involved in healthcare. Pray for their ministries.
21. Pray for all our hospital chaplains and in particular for Lead Chaplain Paul Snell and chaplains Sacha Pearce, Jan Collis and Simon Fletcher working at Derriford Hospital, Plymouth.
22. For the Haldon Mission Community, their clergy Roderick Withnell, Jane Frost, Sue Astbury, Readers Richard Frost, Ruth Sewell and for all who live and worship in Teignmouth West, Teignmouth East, Ideford with Luton, Bishopsteignton and Ashcombe..
23. Pray for the meeting of Bishop’s senior staff and for Jackie Taylor as she is commissioned as Dean of Women in Ministry and for Nick Shutt and Andrew Beane as they are installed as Archdeacons of Plymouth and Exeter in the Cathedral.
24. For the Heavitree Mission Community, their clergy Robin Eastoe, Jolyon Seward, Alexander Hobbs, Andrew Johnson and for all who live and worship in Saint Mary Steps, Heavitree with St Paul Exeter.
25. For the Holiday Coast Mission Community, their clergy Dallas Ayling, Timothy Collins, Chris Curd, Readers Margaret Noel, Will Halse and for all who live and worship in Starcross, Dawlish with Holcombe and Cofton.
26. For the Holsworthy Mission Community, their clergy Richard Freeman, Elizabeth Burke, Readers Jim Williams, Mark Neave, Mary Aicheler and for all who live and worship in Highampton, Ashwater, Beaworthy, Black Torrington, Bradford with Cookbury, Bradworthy, Bridgerule, Bulkworthy, Abbots Bickington, Halwill, Thornbury, Hollacombe, Holsworthy, Milton Damerel, Putford, Pyworthy with Pancrasweek, Sutcombe, Tetcott with Luffincott and Clawton.
27. For the Holyford Mission Community, their priest John Lees, Readers Jan Lees, Emma Laughton, Charles Hill, Victoria Chester and for all who live and worship in Southleigh, Musbury, Colyton and Branscombe.
28. In our link with Cyprus and the Gulf, we pray for the congregation of Christ Church in the Yemen. They have not been meeting due to the security situation and instability. Pray for all the people of the Yemen and for diocesan staff working at the Ras Morbat Eye Clinic.
29. For the Hartland Team Mission Community, their clergy Jane Skinner, Madeline Bray, Jane Hayes, Readers Eunice Dunn, Vera Tooke, Margaret Rickard and for all who live and worship in Woolfardisworthy West, Welcombe, Parkham, Lundy, Hartland, Clovelly, Bucks Mills, Buckland Brewer and Alwington.
30. For the Honiton Mission Community, their priest Sue Roberts, Reader Julia Barrett and for all who live and worship in Honiton with Monkton, Gittisham, Combe Raleigh, Buckerell and Awliscombe. Pray also for the meeting today of all Devon Church leaders.
31. For all our curates who will take part in training today focussing on funding and grants. Pray for Brigit our Mission Resources Adviser as she leads the day. Pray also for the outcome of Brexit today, as we leave the EU with or without a deal.
Information included in this prayer diary is taken from the diocesan database, where people have given us permission to do so, and was accurate at the time of publication. If there are any changes please email email@example.com