Cell of Our Lady of Walsingham
The Society of Our Lady of Walsingham exists to:
- give honour to the Mother of God under her ancient title of Our Lady of Walsingham;
- bring others to know and love her Shrine;
- foster devotion to Our Lady and encourage pilgrimage to England’s Nazareth;
- pray for the reunion of Christendom and the conversion of the nations.
Each Cell of the Society is committed to these tasks anew, that the People of God may be strengthened and aided by Mary’s prayers, and that the truth of the incarnation may be proclaimed in the lives of the faithful.
The Fraternity of the Holy House of Our Lady of Walsingham and St Michael was erected in the Church of St Michael, Kingsteignton in October 2017 and inaugurated at the Eucharist on 9th February 2018.
Members of the Cell are committed to praying the Angelus everyday and to praying for the objectives of the Society as outlined above. Its regular meetings to celebrate the Eucharist are open to all and are advertised in the Services Events section of this website.
To find out more about the Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham, please click HERE.
To find out more about the Society of Our Lady of Walsingham, please click HERE.
To enquire about the Cell of Our Lady of Walsingham and St Michael in Kingsteignton, please click HERE to send an e-mail.
Pilgrimage to Walsingham 2018
To undertake a pilgrimage is to go on a journey. For a journey we need our luggage, of all sorts, and a pair of sturdy shoes.
A pilgrimage usually has a destination and, for us, it was the Shrine of Our Lady at Walsingham.
This was founded by the Lady Richeldis in 1061 and destroyed by Henry VIII in 1538. It was restored by the Anglican Vicar of Walsingham, Fr Hope Patten, in 1922.
The Shrine at Walsingham was a medieval place of pilgrimage that rivalled Canterbury and the Shrine of Thomas Becket, as a destination. Walsingham was visited by thousands of pilgrims from across Britain and the rest of Europe, both everyday people, as well as Kings, Queens and nobles.
The Shrine at Walsingham became known as 'England's Nazareth' because of the nature of the vision experienced by the Lady Richeldis. This was of the Blessed Virgin Mary, who directed the Lady Richeldis to build a chapel, modelled on the Holy House of Nazareth, to honour the mystery of the incarnation of Our Lord.
Over the years since its restoration in 1922, the Shrine at Walsingham has attracted increasing numbers of pilgrims and is now again a destination of some significance for pilgrims in this country.
Our Accommodation and Food
When we reached the Shrine, the first thing to do was to find our rooms. These are simple but comfortable, light and airy. The rooms we were allocated also had en suite facilities.
For pilgrims who are resident at the Shrine, full board is provided through the excellent pilgrim refectory.
The Shrine Church
At the centre of a pilgrimage to Walsingham is the Shrine Church.
In the Shrine Church we worship the Holy Trinity of Father, Son & Holy Spirit. We also ask for the prayers of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of God and Mother of the Church, in supporting ourselves, our families and friends and our parishes, as we journey onwards along the Christian pilgrimage of life.
Some images of the inside of the Church are included below:
The Shrine Grounds
When not in the Shrine Church there are well kept grounds in which to rest, think and pray:
Beyond the Shrine and It's Grounds
Outside of the Shrine there are places to walk and relax:
Resting and Sleeping
A pilgrimage is an opportunity for rest and recuperation as well as for prayer, worship and reflection. It's fortunate, then, that near to Walsingham is the village of Great Snoring, for we pilgrims did quite a deal of this:
And then there is the Pub!
When not sleeping or praying or worshipping or reading or reflecting, we also had fun sharing each other's company in the local hostelry, which welcomed each of the groups visiting the Shrine by naming them on the board by the entrance to the pub:
The Cell of the Holy House of Our Lady of Walsingham and St Michael in Kingsteignton welcomes new members at any time of the year. Why not join us and come on our next pilgrimage to England's Nazareth (see contact details above).
The Scallop Shell & Pilgrimage
The scallop shell is a symbol of pilgrimage adopted by pilgrims heading for the tomb of St James at Santiago de Compostela. Its origins in this role are obscure but the lines on its surface are sometimes said to be a metaphor, illustrating the lines of the routes of pilgrims from all over the world to the shrine. It is now a sign used by pilgrims to many other sites, including the Shrine of Our Lady at Walsingham. The picture below is of the one outside the Pilgrim Refectory: